In collaboration with Defence, Compass Group are exploring high density farming on base through a new pilot program.
The goal is to drive innovation in food security and sustainability on base through controlled environment agriculture.
This innovation means produce could be grown within meters of the point of use reducing transportation time, emissions, packaging and cost. As well, this will increase freshness while using less water, nutrients and fertilisers. Produce is also able to be grown year-round irrespective of the weather conditions.
The list of sustainability benefits is substantial, including:
- Avoidance of plastic bag and cardboard box usage for transport
- Water usage reduction
- Resilience in supply chain with year-round crop production and remove seasonal constraints
- Reduction of supply chain disruption impact due to climate related weather events or supply/demand challenges
- No chemicals or pesticides
- Elimination of pest contamination, harbourage due to climate and environment control